Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year, Old Feelings

I'll be honest. I have always loved the holidays, but lately this time of year brings a lot of heartache to me. This time last year felt like a nightmare playing in my head over and over again. I had hoped this year would be different. Unfortunately it's not. Two years ago yesterday was the last time I saw my father before Heavenly Father called him home. Last year I wrote Dad a letter to help me release my confined emotions.


Dear Papa,
It's amazing to think that a year ago was last time we would see you in this life. When we left your house that afternoon of the 1st, we had no idea that you would pass on 11 days later. Sometimes I wonder how much tighter I could have hugged you, or how much longer we could have stayed. But obviously we couldn't know or we would have stayed and hugged forever.

This season has brought back a lot of memories of last year. Some good, some heartbreaking. I try to tell myself the heartbreaking emotions are good. They prove to me I know my dad was an awesome man, and that he meant great deal to me. When leaving this life, his absence would leave a void in our hearts until we meet again. Just the simple snowflakes falling on one another reminded me of home. Home for me is not just a house in Smoot, but the place where my dad is. Dad is the feeling of the fire radiating from the stove, and hearing the crackling of the burning wood. Dad is the smell of the snow clothes toasting with the snowmobile fumes. Dad is the sound of the snowblower dusting the yard with snow. Dad is the feeling of snuggles on the couch with the TV broadcasting football. This year I missed out, but the feelings linger when I see the snow fall. It breaks my heart to know that I will never set foot in that home again and feel you in that manner. I hope my memories can be stronger and make themselves last in my heart; That is where my home is now.

I am feeling this way yet again this year with a few more and different emotions. Many times I have felt anger with God for taking him away. I feel so robbed on so many levels. What hurts me the most is that I will never get to see the look on his face when he sees my first child. I won't see him wrap her/him up in his arms and share that love that he has to offer. How could he deny someone that great gift?

But I can't stay angry. I know there is a greater plan and Heavenly Father knows what is best. I have to have faith in that. He knows what we can handle and I need to show strength in time of weakness. Perhaps I needed this trial in my life to truly experience and feel the blessings of the temple and understand the importance of raising a family in righteousness. I cannot deny the feelings and the spirit I have felt each time I have visited the House of the Lord. It is so incredibly hard to deal with his passing, but I know he is looking after me and that I am gaining a stronger testimony and a life experience. Sometimes we have to look deep for blessings, but when we find them, they are worth it.

Sometimes things don't work out like we plan, but I do believe things happen for a reason. I am so grateful that even thought things didn't work out between my parents here in this life, that they were worthy to go to the temple so that Jeremiah, Bryan, and I could be born into the covenant. That someday we will be together again.



10 comments:

Gardiner said...

Yeah, so I am crying! I can't believe how amazingly strong you are to be able to go through all of this and still be so happy. You are such an amazing person. Good luck with the new year.

Martin Memories said...

I love you! Big warm Alaskan hug!

Mel & Annette said...

You are amazing and I love you. Be strong, be happy, and be grateful for great memories and a great future xoxoxoxforever!

Karen Whyte said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I'm very touched by them. You're are an amazing person and your faith is a strength to me.

Wilkes family said...

Jenni, your Dad is so proud of you!!! I have no doubt he will be and is there, guiding and watching your wonderful life unfold! Thank you for being so strong and for living your life to the fullest!!! You've always been a great friend!

Diana said...

I had so many of the same feelings when my dad died. But somehow things just work out, especially when you know that you will get to see them again. This life is just a short moment compared to the time we will get to spend with our families.

Elizabeth said...

I feel your pain. I have always felt cheated that my dad hasn't been here to see my kids and play with them...then I realize that he is here. He's watching over us, missing us as bad as we miss him, and most importantly protecting us. It's a good feeling knowing you have your Dad as an angel watching over you and helping you through the tough times in life. I wish I could tell you that it gets easier with time but I miss my dad today as much as I did the day he died. Thank goodness for the knowledge of knowing this life isn't the end.

Jared & Courtney Jackson said...

Yeah I was starting crying too. You really are an amazing person. I hope that things start to feel better. I can't even imagine the heartache... I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and that this post touched me..

Gatten Gang said...

Hi. I am your dad's cousin Jean from coeur d'Alen,ID. Just wanted to let you know how much you touched my heart. My mom and your dad's Aunt Fay left this earth at Christmas time 7 years ago and I still miss her so much. but I still feel her in so many ways and say "Hi Mom" as I pass the cemetery..wierd I know, but a testimony of being an eternal family. I know you dad was a quiet giant and that he had a firm testimony. All the girl cousins were in love with him...he loved you so much and I know he was so proud of his kids. He always talked about you and smiled as he did. I wish I could have known him more but we lived just too far for the times. Sad, we really should have been better at keeping in touch. With love a cousin Jean

emily said...

When you were talking about never being able to see your dad hold your 1st child, I couldn't help but think that he is with them right now. I bet he is teaching them & telling them funny stories about you. I hope your first baby is a boy & I hope he is just like your dad, he can be your little miracle & then for the rest of your time here on earth with a mini me of your dad! Miracles happen, we never know what is in the work, but I truely believe that something will happen at some point that will help you understand. You are so strong. Hang in there. Much Love.